Friday, October 9, 2015

Leaving The House With Twins In 22 Easy Steps


It's a weekday morning.
This means my husband leaves for work by 4:30 AM, and I have to be out the door absolutely no later than 6:45. My contract start time is 7:30, and that means students are in my room by 7:31, with the first class starting at 7:45. 
How do I do it? I'm wondering the same thing most days.

Here's our schedule: 
1. 4:00 AM: wake to the sound of whimpering babies who are hungry. Lay there for a few minutes in denial. 
2. Realize they're really awake and you need to get moving. Reluctantly get out of bed before the screaming starts. 
3. Make bottles and feed. 
4. Change diapers & clothes if they don't fall asleep. 
5. Hope they go back to sleep or can at least just lay there so you can get ready. 
6. Shower. Make self look presentable. Makeup, blow dry, and straighten hair if possible. 
7. Get my lunch ready, make coffee, make breakfast. (This means pulling a generic granola bar and Belvita crackers out of boxes in the pantry.) Set everything on the counter where I'm sure to remember I placed these things. 
8. Wake boys up. Get them dressed. (I realize I could have our fantastic sitter do this, but I already have enough Mom Guilt for leaving them. I can get them dressed.)
9. Load freshly dressed boys into carseat.
10. Wipe spit-up from shirts and car seat strap pads. (Every. Time. Without. Fail.)
11. First trip to the car: Boy's bag, teacher bag, my lunch, big water bottle, very full coffee mug, breakfast, phone. Start car.
12. Second trip to the car: Forgot to take coffee mug and breakfast. Try again.
13. Go back to the bathroom to make sure straightener is turned off; turn off all bedroom lights.
14. Make sure I have everything again. Lock front door.
15. Put Baby #1 on front stoop in car seat. Go back in.
16. Pick up Baby #2, awkwardly prevent cat from running outside, set down Baby #2 and give cat treats very quickly as distraction.
17. Pick Baby #2 back up, run outside with him before someone drives by and sees a baby sitting in a car seat on my front stoop.
18. Close front door, pick up Baby #1, awkwardly huff and puff down sidewalk to car with 2 car seats.
19. Set Baby #2 down on grass, ensure he's not breathing in vehicle exhaust. Hesitate and move him anyway.
20. Open car door, get Baby #1 locked in car seat base.
21. Pick up Baby #2, walk around to the other side, load him in.
22. Get in drivers seat. Realize I forgot my coffee AGAIN. Turn vehicle off, run back in house.

Repeat next day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment